Only what we have invested in the eternity of souls will last forever. Author unknown
Investing money to make a profit has always been risky business simply because no mere mortal can predict the future. Within the last few years, risky investments via home mortgage loans have brought wholesale greed, personal loss and financial devastation around the world. More than one country has declared bankruptcy and others are on the brink. Our great country, although not admitted to by our leadership, is in the most precarious financial position of its rather short life (short in comparison to many across the ocean who’ve been around for thousands of years).
Bernie Madoff, a child of Abraham, now rots away in prison, after stealing billions of dollars from all manner of people, including elderly Jewish friends and wealthy famous people. Bernie’s focus was obviously on himself and this world. Not only has Bernie’s family been shamed by his actions, one of his sons hanged himself in his New York apartment, while his young son slept in the next room.
If we are willing to admit it, the world as we know it is in the throes of a great financial calamity. Unless we are living like the proverbial Ostrich who hides his head in the sand, we can see changes for the worse covering our globe like a plague. And many of us are wringing our hands, biting our lips and scheduling appointments with our pastors wondering what will happen to us? The answer is in the Word of God. The world is heading to an end. A fiery climax that will melt with a fervent heat. Where is our focus?
- 2 Peter 3:10-12 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. 11Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 12Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? KJV
- Revelation 6:14 The sky vanished like a scroll that is being rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.
- Revelation 20:11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them.
- Revelation 21:1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.
- Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will certainly not pass away.
- 1 Corinthians 7:32 For this world in its current form is passing away.
As Christians we must look each other in the eye and declare, “Snap out of it. We are children of the most high God and we have an eternal destiny with Him—a sin-free world filled with joy and love. It is a world in which bad or worrisome thoughts will never occur. A magnificent world awaits us because of our faith in Jesus Christ. So we must shift our focus on living for Christ while we remain here on earth.”
- Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may discern what is the good, pleasing, and perfect will of God.
- Galatians 6:14 But as for me, I will never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. For both circumcision and uncircumcision mean nothing; what matters, instead, is a new creation.
- 1 Thessalonians 1:10 And to wait for His Son from heaven, whom He raised from the dead—Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath.
- Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.
- Hebrews 10:35 So don’t throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you need endurance, so that after you have done God’s will, you may receive what was promised.
- 1 John 2:15-17 Don’t love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in them. 16 Everything that is in the world—the craving for whatever the body feels, the craving for whatever the eyes see and the arrogant pride in one’s possessions—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17 And the world and its cravings are passing away, but the person who does the will of God remains forever.
God created us. He saved our souls and He has prepared a fool-proof plan for our escape from the sins of the world. Instead of the advice: Take two pills and get lots of rest, He has said, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7