“…Our spirits are being renewed every day.” 2 Corinthians 4:16
Sitting in the park one afternoon, Frank allowed himself a rare opportunity to completely relax. No worrying. No frustrations. No “crying over spilt milk” as his mother used to say. Ah, but there is so much spilt milk, mom, life is filled with broken bottles of milk: Bad decisions, poor choices, sinful behavior, wrecked lives, an ocean of spilt milk.
Then from the children playing he heard something that penetrated his self-pity…”Do over, do over! Let’s have a do over.” A flash of hope jolted him. A do over, can there be a do over? Just like that? Oh, God, can I have a do over with you, with my life?
The voice of his mother spoke in his heart, “Son, There’s always hope! No matter what happens. The Lord welcomes us with new hope and a fresh start every day. As we repent, all is forgiven, washed clean by the everlasting blood of the Lamb. The past is just that…past.
- 2 Corinthians 4:16-18 “That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”
- Romans 6:4 “We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.”
- Galatians 6:15 “Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation.”
- Romans 3:21-25 “But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood.”
We struggle with sin but God has provided the antidote that never fails; an antidote that we can claim each and every day filled with eternal hope fortified with God’s promises.
- Romans 7:24-25 “Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.”
- Romans 8:1-14 “So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them do not belong to him at all.) And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God. The Spirit of God, who raised Jesus from the dead, lives in you. And just as God raised Christ Jesus from the dead, he will give life to your mortal bodies by this same Spirit living within you. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.”
- Philippians 3:7-14 “But all those things that I might count as profit I now reckon as loss for Christ’s sake. Not only those things; I reckon everything as complete loss for the sake of what is so much more valuable, the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have thrown everything away; I consider it all as mere garbage, so that I may gain Christ and be completely united with him. I no longer have a righteousness of my own, the kind that is gained by obeying the Law. I now have the righteousness that is given through faith in Christ, the righteousness that comes from God and is based on faith. All I want is to know Christ and to experience the power of his resurrection, to share in his sufferings and become like him in his death, in the hope that I myself will be raised from death to life. I do not claim that I have already succeeded or have already become perfect. I keep striving to win the prize for which Christ Jesus has already won me to himself. Of course, my friends, I really do not think that I have already won it; the one thing I do, however, is to forget what is behind me and do my best to reach what is ahead. So I run straight toward the goal in order to win the prize, which is God’s call through Christ Jesus to the life above.”
Life without Christ is hopeless when disaster strikes or personal calamity befalls; we’re on our own to sort all our feelings. But with Christ as Savior, we know forgiveness is ours each time we face our actions and repent. His absolute love and compassion stretches forth throughout the ages, ready to cleanse the vilest sinner;. a person just like me.